Arshad Ali speaks to us about how he got into the profession and what he gets up to in his spare time.
1. What got you into dentistry?
I had applied for medicine but didn’t make the grades, so I went back to school for a sixth year.
After a week, I got fed up and applied for dentistry and started straight away.
Best thing I ever did!
2. What do you like most about it?
The best bit about dentistry is helping our patients.
I carry out a very wide range of treatments and like the challenge of treating complex cases.
3. How do you see the future of dentistry in Scotland evolving?
NHS funding in dentistry is continuing to be squeezed significantly.
I see most dentists providing less NHS dentistry and more independent or private dentistry.
4. Have you had any unusual experiences in dentistry?
I have had too many unusual experiences, some of which can’t be put into print!
5. How do you unwind outside of dentistry?
I enjoy golf and also dining out.
6. Where’s your favourite holiday destination?
I went to the Algarve for the first time recently and fell in love with the place!
7. What’s your favourite film and TV programme?
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and Match of the Day.
8. What’s your favourite meal?
Has to be tandoori mixed grill with rice, naan bread and spicy yoghurt.
9. What’s your favourite book?
Let This Be Our Secret by Deric Henderson.
10. What’s your favourite sport?
11. What kind of music do you listen to?
I listen to all types of music.
12. Sum yourself up in one word
13. Anything else you’d like to add?
I am very fortunate in that I still love my work after over 40 years of practising.
This is most likely due to the variety I have in clinical dentistry, teaching, managing my own practice, which certainly throws up many challenges!
I wouldn’t be where I am now if it wasn’t for the support of my family, all of the individuals who have trained me over the years and my wonderful team at the Scottish Centre for Excellence in Dentistry.